Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Starting Over


Well today marks my 41st Birthday and I was sitting here studying and reading thinking about how many close calls I have experienced in my own life and the blessings God has given me and the multitude of chances I have received to follow after Him. I guess this time of reflection is normal for most people but yesterday I ran into one of my son’s friends and while we were talking he made the statement he wished he could start over. This has made me think about when I used to feel that way. My advice to Him was simple today is the day to start over. You see like me this young man should already be dead the life he has lead was not easy and he has had people physically try to kill him. Yet today he is alive and well he has had a chance to start over. The truth is if you are reading this than you also have been given that opportunity. You see I understand that when this life is over it is too late make amends for our shortcomings it’s too late to ask God to forgive us and that then it is too late to begin living in His blessings. You see whether you know it or not you are already blessed. The problem is we don’t recognize it or understand it. What is really hard to understand is there are many more blessings waiting; that we miss out on because we what we lack is wisdom and understanding.

 Proverbs 1:7 tells us,

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

To our own folly we often live our lives as Paul explains in Romans 7:19,

19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. (ESV)

That is because we live in our own power and under our own authority. We make decisions based on what we perceive to be correct and right. If we apply the bible just as history and learn from its writings when we look at the book of Judges we see our world today. Time and again the writer makes this statement,

 “In those days Israel had no king; everyone did whatever seemed right in their own eyes.” (Judges 21:25 NLT)

 Today in your life who sits on the throne; who rules over your mind, heart, body and soul? Are you living for yourself? Are you making decisions that one day you will be saying, “I want to start over?” My advice and understanding is simple If you are here today you have the chance to start over. Because of God’s grace and mercy He forgives all of your past sin and gives you strength to move on. With all things it requires something of you. This new life and better life only comes with a relationship to Jesus Christ. Allow Him to be the ruler over your life. Seek after his knowledge and wisdom, every growing in His likeness and I can promise you the life He has prepared for you will be better than any life you ever imagined. One last thing; don’t have regrets about your past. The trials and tribulations you have endured have made you who you are. In God’s grace and mercy He will use those same things we might be ashamed of to lead others and help someone else to overcome those same issues in their lives. Look at Joseph’s life in Genesis and this one statement found in 50:20 says it all, “20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people. Gen 50:20 (NLT)”

Have a blessed as you walk in the light of His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!