Friday, December 28, 2012

Chameleon Christians


I was studying yesterday and the parable of the dishonest steward has been on my mind since then. If you have never read it is found in Luke 16:1-13 and is something every Christian needs to read and apply to their walk with Christ. It contains this often repeated scripture:

10 “One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. Luke 16:10 (ESV)”

 

This scripture is often cited when preachers are talking about finances and stewardship of one’s money and possessions; which is a very important area of growth, for every Christian to understand as we seek to become more like Christ. Yet this is not what has had my mind reeling what has made me stop is found in verses 3-4:

 

3 And the manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do, since my master is taking the management away from me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. 4 I have decided what to do, so that when I am removed from management, people may receive me into their houses.’

Luke 16:3-4 (ESV)

In this translation it says in verse four, “I have decided” in the King James it is translated, “I am resolved” and that is what makes this so interesting to me. When we decide to do something we make our mind up and we do it. Very few things can prevent a person from completing a task once they have decided and have the resolve to make it happen. Even if it is going to have a negative impact on themselves and others we have seen the negative effects of this type of thought on the news recently. Yet Jesus went on to explain it in this very same parable.

 

“8 The master commended the dishonest manager for his shrewdness. For the sons of this world are shrewder in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. Luke 16:8 (ESV)”

 

We often see people who are like this steward and we admire them. They always seem to have it all under control and can’t seem to do anything wrong. The truth is these individuals are sitting on the pews in churches and seem to always have the right thing to say and can be influential within the church and world. The name I have for these individuals is Chameleon Christians. They like the steward have decided that they will survive both in and out of the church. Adapting to whatever situation they find themselves in. Making deals that gain them favor and bringing shame to the name of Jesus.

 

The truly interesting thing is that the master saw what the steward did. He may have seen and understood his reasoning but in the end he still fired him. His scheme to secure a future for himself might have seemed good in his own eyes but in the end all his planning did not change the outcome. The same thing is true of our ideas for salvation. I know that someone is reading this and saying but Paul told the Philippians;

 

“12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Philippians 2:12-13 (ESV)”

 

But the steward was not afraid of the master or he would have been a faithful steward to begin with. The same can be said for those who fail to produce a fruitful life after they get up from the altar.

 

Today as a Christian are you a shrewd individual who is playing both ends against the middle? You have gone to the altar and asked for forgiveness and live one life inside the church doors; but on Monday thru Saturday your walk with Christ is unrecognizable. If so it’s time to stop and make a new decision. As Christians we must have a resolve to live as “sons of light.” Yes this will make us different than most of those we interact with on a daily basis. But when it comes time to stand before the master all the accusations that the devil makes will be without cause or justification as Jesus has already paid the penalty for our transgressions. I want to challenge you today to begin looking forward to a new journey with Christ as you begin to a walk in the Light of His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!