Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Craziest Ideas


What is the craziest thing you have ever allowed someone to talk you into doing? As I ask that question I need to thank God that He allowed me to survive all those things that honestly I never should have walked away from even when I was not living my life for him. Today is no different except the one who influences me to pursue some crazy and off the wall dreams is God Himself. Yes that is correct some of the craziest things you will be asked to do will come when you are walking in relationship with Jesus Christ and trying to live under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. However, let me assure you; you are not alone in this endeavor. There is a long list of men and woman throughout history and scripture that have taken their marching orders from God and have gone on to do great things for Him and the kingdom. As I was reading this morning one such account of a man following after God’s heart and his instructions was put before me. It is found in 1 Kings 18:1-40 and is the time in which Elijah confronts King Ahab and the prophets of Baal. But the part I want to share with you is Elijah’s preparation for the sacrifice. If you have never read this account I recommend you look it up and read all of it.
30 Then Elijah said to all the people, “Come near to me.” And all the people came near to him. And he repaired the altar of the Lord that had been thrown down. 31 Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord came, saying, “Israel shall be your name,” 32 and with the stones he built an altar in the name of the Lord. And he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two seahs of seed. 33 And he put the wood in order and cut the bull in pieces and laid it on the wood. And he said, “Fill four jars with water and pour it on the burnt offering and on the wood.” 34 And he said, “Do it a second time.” And they did it a second time. And he said, “Do it a third time.” And they did it a third time. 35 And the water ran around the altar and filled the trench also with water. 1 Kings 18:30-35 (ESV)

To help you understand some of what is going on Elijah at God’s command prayed for the rain to stop and it did for three years. He arrives back in Israeli and confronts Ahab and the prophets of Baal. God has instructed him to challenge them to a contest to prove who the one true God in Israeli is. The preparations of the sacrifice were not Elijah’s doing but in accordance with the Lord’s direction.

36 And at the time of the offering of the oblation, Elijah the prophet came near and said, “O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. 1 Kings 18:36 (ESV) 

It was not Elijah’s crazy idea to soak the wood and the sacrifice to the point the ground would not even absorb the overflow. Remember it has not rained in three years; that would take a lot of water. Yet Elijah was obedient in all God told him to do and God as always proves He is faithful to those who are obedient to His will and His word.
 

38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

1 Kings 18:38(ESV) 

So let me ask you what crazy vision or idea has God placed on your heart? Are you willing to take that step to follow after him and do what he has called you to? As I close I want to give you one important warning that you need to understand whatever the idea is that you may feel God leading you into to ensure it is the right one ask yourself this question who will receive the glory from it? If God is glorified in it and you are not mentioned than that is the crazy idea God has for you. You see they don’t bow down and honor Elijah;
39 And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, “The Lord, he is God; the Lord, he is God.” 1 Kings 18:39 (ESV) 

Often those thoughts and ideas that we have that seem off the wall and out in left field about ways to reach the community and share the gospel with others may be exactly what God has called you too. Trust me I never thought I would spend time writing and people still look at me strange when I say I am a pastor. It is a good thing we don’t have think like God does because he can take what looks foolish to the world and make something great out of it. Have a blessed day as you walk in the Light of God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!