Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Questioning and Hope


You know I am sure that we all can relate to asking God to do something in our lives and it seems like the answer never comes. I have a habit of listening to Adventures in Odyssey from Focus on The Family when I am working late. The episode I was listening to was centered on John 11:38-44 and the testimony of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. So when I got home I reread these passages found in John 11:1-44. And the thing that struck me was the interactions of Jesus and Martha.

3 So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” 4 But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.” John 11:2-4 (ESV)

Mary and Martha were just like you and me they had what they saw as a need and they went to Jesus knowing that He was capable of meeting their need. The sickness that Lazarus had is not described. However, the urgency with which they sent for Jesus indicates Martha and Mary believed the situation was critical. However, Jesus tells the disciples and the messengers that while Lazarus illness may concern all those involved it has a greater purpose than any of them can understand.

My question for you today is have you looked at the situation you find yourself in from this perspective? What seems like a very long dark valley in your life, where you just can’t seem to get any traction and you find yourself desperate for some relief, could be something that God is going to use for a greater glory. It could easily be something that you have never even considered. I am sure that Mary and Martha were filled with despair Martha even meets and confronts Jesus;

21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”

John 11:21(ESV)

What I am about to say is probably not going to be popular but it’s the truth. It is alright to question God. It is a normal human instinct to ask why and even to lay blame on God. However, there must be a moment when we shift our blame to belief. Martha while confronting Jesus realized this;

22 But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.” John 11:22 (ESV)

It is interesting to me that even in this moment of anger and despair Martha could recognize the hope that Jesus brings into the situation. Today can you look at your situation and see the hope that only Jesus can provide. Whether it be financial, physical or emotional Jesus is able to bring hope to it. Do you hear Jesus calling? He is calling into the darkness that you find yourself in. Martha and Mary would soon see their brother restored as Jesus was calling Him to come out. I ask again do you hear Jesus calling to you today. You see He knows where you are and He desires to use your situation to Glorify His Father. Are you willing to come to Him? It is alright to ask why when you are in the valley. However, don’t allow your questioning to block out His voice. Jesus is calling to you today your choice is do I turn towards Him or do I go on questioning. Be blessed today as you walk in the light of God’s Word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!