Sunday, January 7, 2018

Who Are You in Christ

Much of Paul's writing is often directed towards individuals or groups of individuals and they often follow a style with a greeting, addressing of issues, blessing and closing. One of the simplest of these is the letter to Philemon. It's a short note for the most part addressing the future outcomes of a fellow believer. However, that's not really what caught my attention it's the greeting that makes me think. 

"4 I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers, because I hear of your love and of the faith that you have toward the Lord Jesus and for all the saints, and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ. For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you." 
Philemon 1:4-7

When people think of you what do they think? Are you on someone's prayer list and if so why? Philemon's life, testimony, service to the church and the saints established him as someone who was an example of how to walk a true Christian walk. Paul makes a statement though in verse 6 as great a testimony as Philemon had Paul reminded him to share his faith that he might become more effective for the sake of Christ. I have to say this reminded me that Jesus did not sacrifice himself just so I could avoid hell. He went to the cross for all of those who would believe in Him and live in obedience to the Holy Spirit and God's word. God's word tells us we are to share the good news of Jesus and the power that is available to us to overcome through the Holy Spirit. That's the truth of our salvation there is work for us to do. 

Do you know someone like Philemon? Do you desire to be like Philemon? I would hope we all would desire to be obedient to God's word and live lives that bring joy and blessings to all those we meet and be a blessing to them. 

Be Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!