Saturday, August 20, 2011

Vertical Motivators for Serving God


 There are several reasons to biblically serve God and I cannot give you all of them you will need to study your bible and learn of more. Here a seven that I have come to understand and hopefully they will start you wanting to learn more through your own studying of the word. Love and Gratitude, rewards, our identity in Christ, purpose and hope, longing for God, fear and no other option now some of these are pretty self-evident if you are already walking with God and have a relationship with his Son Jesus. Beginning there helps us to understand some of these. I want to focus on just two of them today.

                Longing for God; each person in the world longs to have a personal relationship and feel love. I have never met anyone who did not have that desire. I believe that desire to Love and be loved comes from the relationship God had in place with Adam and Eve and when they were removed from Eden every person born longs for that same relationship they lost. Psalms 42:1-5 makes this clear, “1As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” 3 My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” 4 These things I remember as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng.”
Our desire to know God more intimately leads us to prayer and study. I read somewhere recently that each of us has a God shaped hole in our being. Now we may try to fill that hole with a number of things drugs, alcohol and all sorts of immoral behavior but only God really fits there.  You know on a scientific level this concept is how our bodies really work. I may be off on the terms but we have receptors in our nervous system that are designed only to receive certain chemical combinations. Nicotine found in cigarettes and tobacco is a good example of this; it mimics dopamine or
acetylcholine depending on what you read. But nicotine blocks the receptor that is designed for the other chemical. The other chemical is designed to release or be used up; nicotine does not it holds on to the receptor and clogs it so it can no longer be used. I think I remember that right. Basically it corrupts the receptor. Sounds a lot like how we fill our lives with stuff that really is not God and wonder why nothing works and the longing for relationship continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!