Friday, May 11, 2012

The Light


I was remembering a story my dad once told me about his service in Vietnam. He served in in communications and worked as a radio operator. One of his duty stations was on top of a mountain and from that location they controlled all radio traffic in the area. The other job he had was there was a spotlight that was so big that they could shine it down on any of the bases within three or four miles and it would look like the sun had come up over that base. He said the light was so intense the big green lunar moths or something of that type would fly into it and evaporate.  I have never forgotten that story and my dad has been with the Lord going on 17 years.
I shared that to give you an idea of what I think about when we talk about the light that came to Earth when Jesus came in the form of a man. We see in John 1:9,
“9 The one who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.” (NLT)


In my simple mind I picture that story my dad shared. Here we have a source of light that is so powerful that even from a distance it penetrates the darkness of our lives; now we may from our current point of view only recognize that we have been covered by it. Yet as we learn to live in it and we travel closer to it the more hidden things begin to fall away or figuratively things begin to burn off. Some things just cannot live in the light. John was called to be a witness to His coming but we are witnesses to His presence. My dad would tell me there was no mistaking when that light came on. Those who it shown down on did not have to fear what might be in the dark; they now could see everything as if it was midday.  


When we allow Jesus into our lives it is much the same thing; we can live in the light at a distance feeling the safety that a relationship with Him brings or we can move closer and experience the power for the light to destroy the darkness we have in our lives. The Light has come into the world and His name is Jesus; will you ask him to shine down on you today? Have a blessed day as you walk in the Light of God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!