Thursday, June 14, 2012

Living in Covenant


Good Morning I know it has been a few days but a verse of Scripture I was reading has been really weighing on me and I wanted to share what I was reading. It is found in the Old Testament book of Malachi and is about the Levitical covenant.

5 My covenant with him was one of life and peace, and I gave them to him. It was a covenant of fear, and he feared me. He stood in awe of my name. 6 True instruction was in his mouth, and no wrong was found on his lips. He walked with me in peace and uprightness, and he turned many from iniquity. 7 For the lips of a priest should guard knowledge, and people should seek instruction from his mouth, for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts.

Malachi 2:5-7 (ESV)

As Christians we are all called to be priests and servants of God presenting the gospel to those He places in our lives. I know that is not a new concept for most of us. Yet as I read this passage of scripture I wondered how many of us actually are living under this covenant.  You see a covenant is a binding contract but all contracts require that each party in the contract does their part. When you were saved you became part of the royal priesthood separated from the world called to be a messenger for God. In that God has promised to provide a life and in that life we will find peace. Over the past few years I have begun to understand this part of the covenant better. The peace that you find is not one that avoids all conflict and strife but one that when there is conflict you are assured that God has control of the situation and that in that conflict He will provide peace for you. In my mind I picture Jesus asleep in the boat while the storm raged around them. Everyone else was worried but he had peace and rest from it all. But his life was lived bringing the truth he walked in uprightness and he turned from sin. There is a promise there for you and me. If we find ourselves being battered by the storms of life; are we holding up our end of the covenant? Allow God to bless you today as you walk in the light of His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!