Friday, October 19, 2012

Obligation or Passion


10/19/12

I heard this phrase on the radio this week and it caught my attention; Microwave Christians. It’s not a new term it has actually been used a lot during the past 20. You might wonder how you can put the two words together to make a point well this is the best description I have found. Have you ever gotten something out of the microwave that was so hot you had to get mittens just to pick it up? Only to discover the insides of it were as cold as ice. There are a lot of well-meaning Christians that fill the pew every Sunday serve as greeters, ushers,  musicians, singers, and even some preachers who have lost that inner passion for what they do every Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday. To be honest with you it affects more people than you think. It is currently one of my own struggles; I have lost a passion to do many of the activities I have always done. In my own life I have allowed the doing to overtake the purpose for why it was done in the first place. You see we can be busy doing God’s work but not doing what God has for us to do. There is a difference between obligation and passion many of the things that are done in churches is out of obligation. First because we believe that if I don’t do it; it won’t get done. Let me tell you that you may be keeping someone else from doing what a God has called them to if you are not willing to step back and examine what God’s plan is for you. I have learned from experience that God has called and created each of us to do certain things and reach certain groups of people. Often though we grow comfortable and conform to a pattern that locks us into a position of self-control. This hinders God’s work in our own life not to mention what it does to the people around us.  In my struggles with this issue I have turned to God and sought after His wisdom and plan for my life as should anyone else that finds they are lacking a passion for what you are doing for God. I started in Proverbs 2:

1 My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, 2 making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; 3 yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, 4 if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, 5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-5 (ESV)

 

and found myself back in the Book of James; the Proverbs of the New Testament, and the verse that I want to share with you is:

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 1:5-8 (ESV)

 

We cannot live a double minded life and serve God. We must be willing to turn over full control to His sovereign will for our lives. I pray that God guides me where He would have me be so that I can be affective for His kingdom and I pray the same for you. It is not an easy decision to make but it is the best one you will ever make if you truly desire to serve God with all your heart, mind, body and soul. Have a blessed day as you walk in God’s word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!