Thursday, July 19, 2012

Foolish Living


I once had the idea of naming a middle school group; Fools for God. I was new to ministry and did not really know the Bible as well as I should have and one of the parents was quick to tell me it was a sin to call a person a fool. I was in my ignorance quick to ask what verse of scripture that was found in. I never was told but I was respectful and did not name the group that. That verse by the way is Matthew 5:22;

 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. Matt 5:22 (ESV)”

But you know as we look at this verse in comparison to 1 Corinthians 1:18-19:

“18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” 1 Corinthians 1:18-19 (ESV)”



To the world what you and I believe is folly making those who believe it look foolish from the world’s perspective. Let’s look at it we pray for healing when the doctors say there is no hope, we pray for strength in times when others give up and quit; we trust in something unseen to provide for our daily needs. According to the world we are fools. The world requires everything be real that what the educated doctor says is the only choice, that when the world becomes too hard for us to deal with we seek relief in drugs and alcohol or that are needs can only be meet if we are spending 80 hours a week working two jobs. You see it might seem foolish to the world that does not know God for me to live my life believing in the wisdom and strength that are available to me as I trust in Jesus but that is to the world’s folly; for scripture teaches in that salvation comes through the foolishness of God.



21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. 1 Corinthians 1:21 (ESV)



Paul goes on to make a point that is applicable to me and I know and admit it. It is found in verses 26-29;



26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 1 Corinthians 1:26-29 (ESV)”



 How about you? Is the applause of man more important than the strength, peace, grace and mercy found in a real relationship with Jesus Christ?  Let the world call me a fool I will hold on to God’s wisdom and strength. Have a blessed day as you walk in the light of God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!