Friday, November 4, 2011

Do you have to be Right?


Ecclesiastes 9:4, “A live dog is better than a dead lion” 

That may seem like a different and unique verse of scripture I know. This morning as I was studying I read it and it was in the context of at what cost are you willing to suffer for what you believe is right. Many times we believe that we have the only and best way to do something. This leads us to refusing to listen to others around us because we are determined to have our way even if our way costs a high price. It comes down to a simple idea and attitude that is often the down fall of many a great leader. My way or the highway mentality, General George Patton held to this belief and he even though a great leader and warrior found he was unable to lead when he was removed from his position. I have learned to keep myself in check recently about my ideas and thoughts. I am not a leader by position but by example. So are all of you, we have power to influence others and guide and direct them in their walk with God. Sometimes we push individuals to fit what we hold as the one right way and they turn and go the other direction just because they have their own will. You know the response, “I won’t do it just because you asked me to!” In the end though we must desire the will of God for our own lives and those we encounter each day respecting that God is the one and only true authority that we will all be accountable to.  Each day we have to decide what God’s will is for us that very day. If it is calling someone on the phone and telling them you are praying or if it’s just listening to someone when vents their frustrations, God has a purpose in it. We do not always have to force ourselves on others but we must always show them God’s love.  This poem was also in what I was reading and I want to share it. Try to take it to heart as you walk with God and deal with others. It’s the epitaph from a tombstone.

Here lies the body of Mike O’day

Who died maintaining his right of way.

His right was clear. His will was strong.

But he’s just as dead as if he’d been wrong.

Do you have the; my way or the highway mentality, when you are trying to do God’s business. Be sure what you are calling God’s work is really what he desires and not your own personal ambitions leading you. I know I am learning to check that in my own life I look forward to Jesus telling me, “well done good and faithful servant” when I see Him face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!