Friday, July 29, 2011

What are people seeing?


In Mark 10:43-45 James and John have just asked for the seats at Jesus right and left when he comes into his power and position. This starts a debate between the disciples as to who is greatest and Jesus tells them this; “Whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be a slave to all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served , but to serve and give his life –a  ransom for many” You know many times I have wondered what I was supposed to do in my life. I believe in what Jesus told the apostles and I think you should consider it.

One of the books I have just finished is about Billy Graham and his leadership style. It contains a lot of stories about him and how he treats people friends, employees and even those who do not like him.  It talks about how he dealt with his failures and how he empowered those whom he had influence over. But one story really struck me it was about a man who came to speak at one of the crusades and was recovering from the flu. He was eating dinner with Billy and the rest and shared he was still feeling the effects from the flu and Billy told him something he could buy at a drug store that would help. An hour after the dinner broke up there was a knock on his hotel door and there stood Billy with a sack with the medicine in it. He had gone and gotten it for him. It shows the servant heart that Billy Graham has. Little acts like that have encouraged 1000’s of people who work with and for him to do more for others.

What sort of example do you present first with your children around and secondly with friends? I want you to take a minute today and ask yourself what sort of example I may be setting for those who know me; about being a servant. Do my actions match my talk or do I need to start doing more for others. I have never worked with a great leader who was afraid to get their hands dirty. Especially when they needed to teach me how to do something; we must model servanthood if we want those coming up to continue on in God’s work. It is believed that 88% of our youth leave the church by the time they are 18 years of age. If parents and churches instill a servants heart in these same young people that drops to 4% it is vital that children today see models of servants if the church is to continue and grow. Pray that God will give you a servant’s heart. It is so much more important than you realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!