Saturday, July 30, 2011

Higher Ground


I woke up this morning and was remembering a colonel that I served under while I was stationed at Ft. Irwin California. He would finish every address with these words, “See you on the high ground.” Being a Calvary Scout I understood what that meant from a military perspective. When you wanted to get a good look around you would climb as high as you could without going over the crest and silhouetting yourself against the open sky. I have climbed trees and some really high points of rock to look into a clearing and see what might lie ahead. The view you get always brings perspective and some truth about your situation but the climb can be hard.

I never truly understood what he was really talking about until years later when I got accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. In 1 Timothy 3:14-16, is a place to start that understanding Paul shares what we are should be doing as we wait on Jesus return,

14 These things I write to you, though I hope to come to you shortly; 15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. 16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:
God was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory.”

What I have highlighted is very important to what I am trying to share the pillar is a strong solid structure that is there to support and hold everything in place when you combine it with the ground as a foundation for what we believe we find it an unmovable place to be. It will survive and stand against many an attack. I don’t know about you but I find assurance in that idea that God has a place that I can go and it is already defended and as long as I am willing to stay there I can be safe.

In closing we will make many choices about things; we are always deciding on what we will allow in our lives. I remember hearing people tell others who had been wronged to be the better person or take the higher ground. I want you to understand that when we are grounded in God’s word and we use it to make our choices. We will always make better choices. I never asked the colonel I served what he really meant when he would say, “See you on the high ground.” But today I would bet he meant for us to live a life that glorified God so that one day we would all be in the presence of our God most High. Have a blessed day and may God’s grace shine on you today and everyday as you follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!