Wednesday, September 21, 2011

New Name, New Song, New Vision


New name, new song and new vision

You know I believe music is a way to bring us closer to God in our daily walk and I have a wide variety of it on my IPod. I actually have everything from Aaron Neville to ZOË girl. It ranges from Rap to classical techno and hard rock. I was letting it shuffle yesterday and it landed on a song by Jim Croce the title of it is, I Have a Name. Now I know Jim was not what you might call a Christian artist but something about that song made me think of three passages of scripture I have in my heart and some promises God has given each of us when we believe on Jesus.

Link to the song http://youtu.be/YcqauC49Xmc

The first line of the song that struck me was, “I've got a name, and I carry it with me like my daddy did,
but I'm living the dream that he kept hid.” We are given a name when we are born some people spend a lot of time tryingto select the perfect name for their children some just stick to family traditions but each name is special to that individual it makes us part of a family and tells others who we are.
 In Revelation 2:17, “17 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.” One day when this life is over we will be given a new name that only those who are also victorious will be able to know we will no longer be part of our earthly families with the divisions and feuds but members of the family of God.
The next verse that struck me was,” I've got a song, and I carry it with me and I sing it proudIf it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud.” In Proverbs 40:3, “3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their
trust in him.” God has placed a new song in our hearts that drives us to want to serve Him and be a witness to Him in everything we do. 

The third verse makes this statement, “I've got a dream, they can change their minds but they can't change me. 
We see this prophecy fulfilled in Acts 2:17, “17 “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.” You know the in the chorus he explains that these things help to keep him moving on down the highway. Well on the day I accepted Jesus as my Lord and savior all these; the new name, song and dreams were given to me and if you have trusted Jesus they were given to you also. The question is what you are doing with these three gifts. Are you still chasing what you want or are you following God’s vision for your life. May God bless everywhere your shadow falls today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!