Monday, February 13, 2012

Self-discipline

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. 1Corinthians 9:24-27   I want to be honest with you most of my life I struggled with one main issue and that issue is self-discipline. After several years of complete failure I have really begun to understand what it takes to have self-discipline and that is never giving up. If you stop trying I promise you; you will never get there. Yes it might sound simple but to be honest more people never get what the really want or need out of life mainly because they are too scared to try or it is really not that important to them.   This is not just about physical desires like losing weight or exercising; but our spiritual walk with God. I have probable struggled in that area more than the other through out my life. You see the physical brings results that as individuals we understand because for most of us we are very visual; especially men. So when we can see the waist shrinking and the clothes getting loose and are muscles toning we are more likely to continue to train. In our spiritual life though advances are not always easy for men, we like to be able to hold onto something solid that we can say; “I can count on this to be here.” When we are trying to get closer to God it is hard to say, “I can depend on this.” But our lack of understanding and trust is based on the fact I do not really know Him. I can turn to my friend and fishing buddy for advice but he is there before me. If I don’t like what he tells me I can smack him. It is not easy for guys to grasp the life and activity of the Holy Spirit mainly because we do not really take the time to get to know Jesus through His word and the Holy Spirit. We are always quick to try and make it on our own; please understand God actually wired us to be the providers and protectors of our homes and families, but He has called us to live in accordance with His word.    I will close with a challenge to you all; men and women; but especially the men. There is an old Chinese proverb that states the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. If you are reading this today you have taken the first step. The next one is on you ask God to put a desire in your heart to be in His word ask him to open your heart and mind to understanding of it. I pray God shows you all he has promised to you as you walk in the light of His Word. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!