Saturday, April 7, 2012

Darkest Before the Dawn


62 The next day, that is, after the day of Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate 63 and said, “Sir, we remember how that impostor said, while he was still alive, ‘After three days I will rise.’ 64 Therefore order the tomb to be made secure until the third day, lest his disciples go and steal him away and tell the people, ‘He has risen from the dead,’ and the last fraud will be worse than the first.” 65 Pilate said to them, “You have a guard of soldiers. Go, make it as secure as you can.” 66 So they went and made the tomb secure by sealing the stone and setting a guard.

Matt 27:62-66 (ESV)

As today we wait on the dawning of tomorrow and some denominations celebrate Holy Saturday by removing all the adornments in their churches or covering the altars with black; representing a time of mourning and preparation for the dawning of a new day. I think back to what it must have been like for those followers of Jesus. You know it was probably very difficult for the apostles on this day. Here they had followed this man for three years they had learned so much about Kingdom of God from Him and they had hope for Israeli to be set free. Yet here we find him in a tomb guarded by the Romans sealed by the man who allowed him to be hung on the cross. It seems as the world has no hope left. What will they do is the question; you see we know how this story ends, they did not.  

I was once told this and I did not believe it until I started spending time outside in the early morning just before the sun comes up. Any hunter who has every walked into a tree stand or hunting blind in the early morning can vouch for this. It is always darkest just before the dawn. Just as the sun begins to rise in the east the world grows dark and the temperature drops and the chill of the morning soaks into your body. Than just seconds later the sun brings warmth and hope for another day. Some 2000 years ago Jesus’ body lay in a borrowed tomb. Those who had been close to him had run away and hid themselves in fear. If they only understood what was going on. You see when I find myself looking into the darkness in the early morning I have an assurance that the sun will come up. The same is true of my walk with God. I know that no matter what trial I might find myself in I have a hope in Jesus that assures me I will not be left alone in the dark cold place that I have found myself in. He is my deliverer and in Him I have hope for a New Day.

Today if you are struggling and do not know that hope allow me to help you find it. Pray this prayer. Lord I come to you today lost and undone. I am sitting in a dark place with no hope for tomorrow. I am a sinner and have no right to ask you for help and mercy but in your word I am told that if I confess with my mouth and believe that you are the Son of God I can be saved. Jesus I ask that you forgive me of my sins and come into my heart so that I may have hope in You through all my days trusting in you alone. Amen.

I strongly recommend that if you prayed that prayer that you find a church and make a public profession of your new life in Christ. The dawn is coming and we have hope today in a risen savior. Have a blessed day as you walk in the light of God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!