Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bringing Wonder

7 I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge.

Psalms 71:7 (KJV)

7 I have been as a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge.

Psalms 71:7 (ESV)

7 My life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and protection.

Psalms 71:7 (NLT)

            I shared this verse with the church Sunday morning but I was still thinking about what it really means to be a wonder to people. Knowing that the word wonder can have anyone of three meanings; makes me wonder which meaning, but that is based on the context in which you might be using it. It could mean that people think or speculate about whom you are and what you do or they might be filled with admiration, amazement and awe by you; but the one that comes to my mind when I look at it, is the issue of doubt.  People will look at you in all these manners when you have decided to follow Jesus. I know I can honestly say I have experienced them all and some of you have too.  You notice in the other translations they use different words with a more solid meaning. And each is appropriate if you read the whole text because it is about accepting God as our refuge. We should be an example and provide a portion to others in a time of trial or suffering. Then I look at the word Wonder and I think back to the day of my son’s funeral and I still remember someone saying they did not see or understand how my family could deal with it. I can only say that there has been a time when all of these definitions have been applied to my life and my family. People have looked on us and speculated about what we would do. They have been amazed in the fact that we have been able to trust in Jesus as the days have passed. Then there are those who doubt that what I believe in; to be really enough to meet my needs let alone the trials they face. Allow me to leave you wondering again today I can promise you that if you are willing to walk in the light of God’s word and apply it to your daily life making choices based on the promises found in His word you will make people wonder about you too. Have a blessed day and leave people wondering about what is different in your life and let them desire to know what it is. When they do; share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!